Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sandrine's is the new Chez Henri

So when we last left off [I'm now writing a radio teen series from the 60's apparently], I was heading out to Chez Henri for 6:30. I did in fact head, even getting there earlier [I know, wtf?], but I found Darling waiting outside- weird, it was definitely warmer than recently but it was like 40 degrees, and they have good drinks in there [one of my main points when Ed announced mid-afternoon we should try Il Pescatore instead. Helllls to the no, though that place does look good - this was a 5 year anniversary, and a Friday]. He announced we were not eating at CH. I was sad, but then he explained to me that the hostess was a douche. If the place had been nuts to butts I would have understood the douchery a bit more [though I subscribe to a 98% non-douche policy for the service industry, the 2% reserved for when someone is outright rude to you, then you have all the right in the world to let loose]. It was not crowded, it was 6:30 at night, in a recession, in winter. Ed is a wonderful tipper, this girl made a poor choice and I hope she realizes that. Alas, we headed into the square and walked into Sandrines. LOVED IT.

I was apprehensive about my outfit [jeans and chucks and my homeless winter hat], but there was no problem. The hostess sat is at a table for 2 in the rear with no one next to us. The tables had plenty of room around them, this is important in a smallish space. Our waitress came right over. I am totally moving to waitressing if I ever get laid off. She was nice, and knowledgeable and attentive and polite and I love now her. After we ordered we were chit-chatting and she said the staff guesses what people will order when they walk in and apparently her colleague pegged us. She also mentioned that they were both gunning for us to sit at their tables. Apparently we look laid back, hungry and like we like nice wine. If I could be described as those 3 words for the rest of my life, it might be pretty accurate. Nevertheless, I was very pleased that we come off as a good table even before we sit down.

So yeah, she was awesome as was THE FOOD. Rad crusty bread and butter to start [with the offer of a refill, we declined but I love when it's offered]. We started with this Tarte Flambee thing with scallops and bacon. OMG, yes. It had onions all over it which made me apprehensive but yum yum yum. We had a salad, also super good and Princess picked out a wonderful red wine, I of course have no idea what it was but it was great. Ed ordered some fois groie, I tried it becuase despite my taste bud, I'm not 5. It was ok, but still to cat foody for me. Ed loved it. For meals, I got Pork Cordon Bleu and Ed got the lamb chops. Everything was perfect and delish, the beans were tender but cooked and seasoned right and there was this amazing merlot sauce. Ed's was yummy too, really tender and with potatoes and squash.

I had a glass of riesling with dinner and then an Orange muscat for dessert. We ordered this chocolate cake thing, super simple but dense and rich, with vanilla ice cream and caramel and fudge sauces. SO good, not that we had room to finish it but it was the perfect cap to the meal. Walked back to the car very full and very happy. A great night!

No comments: