Saturday, October 4, 2008

Success!

So we ran our 5k today. Erin and I together placed #786 and 787 and ran THE WHOLE TIME. I felt like death and still feel kind of wacky but I am so proud of us! Josh took pictures, I will post when I get them. Woke up at 6:40, had a yogurt, had some juicy water, had an e muffin with butter. Did I already write this? It's been a long day. We were super nervous, headed down around 8, got registered, paid $20 to homeless people. There were a LOT of people - 900 I've since discovered. I was #860. This was definitely one of those times in Somerville that I 100% felt like the vapid yuppie that I keep pretending I'm not...one day I need to accept that I'm not quitting my job and dyeing my hair pink again any time soon. Days like this smack me in the face of the truism of this notion.

I kept making nervous and stupid jokes Erin has heard repeatedly over the past 17[!] years - given a "Which 'Friend' are you?" Quiz, I'm Chandler. But yeah, I felt SUPER SAT-jittery, but I would've rather been preparing for a school test. Physical challenges [I Heart Double Dare] are not my forte, by any stretch. Debate me, ask me some trivia, have me write an essay, make me crank out a math problem, even sit me in Dunkin Donuts and at gunpoint demand I identify the song that is playing and sing along - THESE are things I can do. Running, moving, not sitting - these are a brave new world and I was terrified of puking, of passing out, of scraping my knee, of sucking in general.

Walked around until 9 to warm up, it was cold! Went to the post office, dropped some stuff at Erin's car [we elected to drive in, smart decision] and puttered. People were stretching and jogging in place like it was a 10 mile run, so weird. I think I'm in Camp Bob Gaudet in that we can stretch and stuff pre-game, but don't HAVE to, everyone is different. Erin stated the simple but I hadn't thought of it goal of running the whole thing, no walking. I stated as long as I broke 45 or 50 minutes, I'd feel good. Keep in mind, in our "training" we've never run more than like a mile? Maybe that one time at Fresh Pond but I have no idea and based on running today, that as def less than or equal to a mile.

Then we were off. The first bit was kind of rough, a hilly sort of stretch but to be honest, we hit the 1st mile [at 11:12] rather quickly. Erin remarked that's the hardest, which was encouraging. Josh and Mia cheered and photog'd around 1.75 miles. In hindsight, the 2nd mile [reached at 22:10 I think?] seemed like a half marathon. Then we were ok, the bulk of the last part was the dog path that we run on so I had a good expectation of time, terrain, hills. We decided to sprint from the end of the path to the end of the race, which I think we both thought was like 25 yards. Not so much. Josh was there at the end again to snap photos, he is a good boyfriend [Princess slept till 11, god bless him]. I'll be 100% honest here, I couldn't feel my legs for the sprint part and I def thought the end was right in front of the theater, but it was more down by ABP. By that point, I felt like semi-fainty and exhausted.

However, we persevered, grabbed some waters, walked around on a side street, I think we were both thinking if our bodies decided to give out in strange and unusual ways, we wanted to be in semi-privacy. Not in the middle of these 20-minute finishers who appeared unfazed, glistening in a cute Americana kind of way. We were red, we were sweaty, hot, panting. Couldn't stop moving, I understand why people at the end of the marathon continue to move, it's hard to stop! And you like can't trust your body if you stop, so you just kind of keep auto-pilot moving. So weird. Final time was 33:31, 10:49 minute miles. That part felt good, if my actual body did not.

Hung out in Davis for a bit, had some Rosebud breakfast - water!, 2.5 fried eggs, some home fries, some white toast, some chocolate milk [I JUST RAN 3 MILES - and I haven't had real chocolate milk in like 10 years], a bonus iced tea they double-poured [thank god, I was thirsty], some sausage. Gave Erin my bacon, surprisingly I am not a big fan of the b. Met up with Bill in Davis, grabbed a skim chai at Diesel and sat around in a field at some bleachers, still stretching and sitting and unwinding until like 12:30? I hate getting up early but it constantly amazes me how much longer the day is if you do manage to get up and out before noon. Tomorrow, I'm sleeping until 4 if my body so desires.

I feel ok, semi-out of it, my legs will hurt tomorrow. Took a couple Advils after, probably will take some more. My neck/shoulders/traps are killing me these past couple days. I'm blaming office job and getting cold, I swear I tense up without knowing it and cause knots and pain. Ed rubbed some Biofreeze [magic junk he gets from his masseuse] and it feels a bit better. I am so thankful my body doesn't hurt on a regular basis, I would be a total douchebag.

Hmm...got home around 1, took a nice hot shower, changed into a Mom outfit [crew neck Hanes sweatshirt, jeans, and some Chucks, so comfy] and we went to New Balance. Ed has wide hooves and beats the shit out of his footwear so needed some new kicks and I decided I would get some wide shoes because, while not today, occasionally I feel like my third toe creeps over my 2nd toe while running. Daddy says us Gaudets have long meta-tarsals? Caroline and I have always referred to them as Hobbit Feet, but Daddy went to a dr after the marathon this year wreaked some havoc so now we have medical confirmation. Anyway, I was due, I think my existing running shoes were $25 at Marshalls, they're New Balance but for who knows what sport or specialty. So yeah, got some wide cushiony running specified shoes, I'm excited for them.

We hit up my reward on the way back - THE ARCHES. It was Ed's idea [he must've been in a mood, he is not as in love with the FF as I am], I had my Cheeseburger HM with a DC and extra Cheeseburger, didn't finish all my fries [decent batch, not amazing]. We sat on some bleachers [my second set of the day - weird] and watched dogs as we ate. I am a total dog-peeper, I'll admit it. I wanted to steal a guy's perfectly stout little black french bulldog [it was jacked - excellent blood line - and kept rolling over like a goof in the sun]. Ed didn't let me.

Got home, sat, reclined, talked to my parents. Daddy was shocked and awed that I actually did this, I specifically kept it quiet in case I failed but he was stoked. Even suggested I aim for the James Joyce 10k in April. I think Erin and I are going to try for another 5k in November around T-Giving, we def both want to keep it up. Running is ok. I'm syncing up my super old iPod Mini with podcasts so that I actually go out by myself when our schedules clash. In a year, I may actually be a healthy 30 year old human!

Took a nap from 5:30 to 8, and here I am blogging again on a Saturday night, such a loser. Ed just made some TJ's corn bread, it's good. He put real roasted corn kernels in it which makes it's more savory and I kind of prefer my CB sweet but it's tasty and most importantly covered in butter. Having that right now with some lite iced tea from one of those weird To-Go packets. I think I will go through my correspondence and watch some bad TV, make some tea and eat a few Double Chocolate Milanos that I have hidden from Darling in our bedroom [not a joke - he eats sweets like Prater Wully if given the opportunity, so I hide food in obscure drawers and storage bins] and the go back to bed. All in all, a good day, and I have very little to do tomorrow too so I feel great. Over and out.

No comments: