Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"Wintry Mix", my ass

How do I forget how much I hate winter EVERY YEAR?

Barf. I am working from home today, one small plus. Drove Darling to work, the roads weren't so bad, but they will be brutal once the temperature drops. Snow is annoying but ice is scary. And I love the Corolla but the brakes do some weird lock up thing in crappy weather, I think it's a safety feature but it makes a horrible noise and I feel like I have no control over the car for 5 seconds. Fun!

So last night I had my pizza and 3 beers, and the Atomic Dragonhearts prevailed and won! Take that, 2009. It was a good night, the snow held off until I was alseep. I also had a tea and 2 2-bite brownies and 2 bites of Ed's butter/garlic/parmesean bagel upon returning home. Not very exciting.

Today I had my bagel and tea, I'm planning on a banana shortly and some water. No exercise yet, I will do the bike at lunch if time allows. I did shovel slushy/rainy/wet snow today, but that was like 8 minutes total and sucked but didn't really work me out. Planning to go to the Kushi's for supper later, popping into Lyndell's [for the first time ever] to grab some dessert for that. It will be nice, as long as they have power - and I remember my GPS and do not crash into a guardrail while driving.

Also, and totally separately: the older I get the more I am turning into a nostalgic pansy [totally inherited from my dad who is Chevy Chase incarnate]. When a 15 year old gives me excellent customer service at the Somerville Target, I nearly tear up. There are so many people, and so many sucky and selfish and nasty things that go on that when something is simple and good, it is unexpected. I am going to try and recognize these moments for reflection when I am having a craptacular week.

Today's shout-out is for LeSportSac in Tennessee. I emailed them about a half hour ago asking about a a baby bag style they used to carry. Side note/back story: after a brief hiatus, I'm now back in one of those phases where my life is boring [minus the house, but the house is expensive and unfurnished and not really joyous - yet] but everyone I talk to is either newly engaged or newly married or newly pregnant or newly parents - or conversely, there is some scary health issue in the family....serious shit. This must be what 30s feel like?

Anyhow, I just got back a personal email with the info I needed and more...God bless the personal touch! It was nice, made me smile. This economy and such really sucks but I am hoping one positive may be that people and businesses re-focus on service and local networks and resources and just get back to the basics that were the fundamentals of our country that seem to be lost lately. I sound like a total dirty hippy / old white man, maybe my brain is frozen. Back to work...

No comments: