Friday, September 26, 2008

The Arches

Wednesday went to Westford again, got a cafe bagel and a tea to start tings off right…yeah. 2 butters and a light cream cheese, it’s the breakfast version of my movie special: extra butter on my popcorn and a diet coke. Had a late lunch AT MCDONALDS. It is so sad what elates me – trip to McDs in the middle of another shitty day at work- it’s so simple really. Had a cheeseburger happy meal, diet coke and extra cheeseburger on the side. It’s my mini-version of the former #2 on their Value Meal menu, which to this day I have no idea why they got rid of – like Jello pudding pops. That will be an entirely separate entry someday.

Ate an overly sour apple on the way home. Tis the season for picking but doesn’t necessarily mean they’re all good, it was disappointing. Signed our P&S after work; I’m going to type this now in hopes of reviewing this in 2-3 months when I’m totally stoked on our house: I’m not super happy.

I’m very pleased with the house, it fits us, and I love it already and I am really looking forward to living there 150%. I can see us being there for a good while and being tremendously happy. However, we definitely got the short end of the stick, it was a poor choice to go with a rookie realtor, and Ed and I can pit bull it up all we want but frankly both of us are still learning to advocate and negotiate as we should and are entitled to. We do a really good job when something is outrageous, but if it’s kind of a “well they should but it’s easier if we or we can just suck it up maybe” type of scenario, we fold like a French maid on laundry day. So
a) We overpaid, by $5k in my opinion, which fine, I’m not going to be an incredible DB over that.
B) We wound up agreeing to pay closing costs. Again, I understand that sellers don’t like to do that but an either or situation would be ideal, this is like we over paid by $10-12k!!
C) Our inspector found a few things that we asked them to fix. We were very reasonable in our requests, and they were supposed to agree to finish some HVAC work that they had done without a permit or inspection. They dragged their heels and so Darling went and organized a plumber to do the work and everything and then they don’t let the guy come into the house until they’ve moved out [and we’ve moved in…nice. If they somehow fuck up my home insurance because of this, I will seek adequate vengeance.] and Ed prepaid $1400 and they were supposed to pay us at closing but oh wait! Dumbass realtor that shall remain nameless got an initial “estimate” [I’m thinking it’s a guess] for $600 and so they are not letting us do the work and we are paying more than half for work they should have done. Again, by my minutia, I can totally tell I’m being insane, but it’s pissing me off. All of this adds up to like $15k and that would be half of our kitchen redone. I need to remember it’s Boston, we’re still walkable but have a driveway and it’s a perfectly solid and wonderful house. And Ed loves it and would kill me if I walked on principle. But, for the record, I think we could and they’d come back begging. However, I’m not willing to risk my relationship or the possibility of dream house in this price bracket coming up any time soon, so I will suck it up. I will own something, I am proud of myself [and Princess, of course].

I feel sick when I think of all of this. I am so excited but sooo pissed. Everyone says it’s like this. I am glad we didn’t have to do any of the back and forth or form preparing but I dislike that “They really stonewalled me” is the final answer here. Stonewall the motherfuckers back – they have 2 mortgages! They made a poor financial decision and we’re bailing them out within 60 frigging days…whatever, I’m going to give myself an aneurysm. It has shingles. And a butler’s pantry. And wood floors. And a basement. And a driveway. And a fenced in yard. And a giant living room with a window seat. I do love it.

So, back to my blog focus, I went for a walk immediately after to cool down. Just down to Davis and back. Bought some hair dye, my drug of choice, felt better. Had my ultimate TV night that is Wednesday. Had a beer, frozen Mac N Cheese and a piece of garlic naan with a tremendous amount of butter.

All in all, a frustrating but productive day. I did got to bed angry [not unusual] and referring to Ed as a Bamboozler [totally didn’t tell me what was going on cause he knew I would lose my shit] but once I sleep on something it’s usually out of my system, thanks Bob Gaudet! I am eternally grateful that I inherited the sleeping under any conditions gene.

No comments: