Sunday, September 14, 2008

Mind the Gap

So it's been a little while since my last post, maybe 27 hours but I've been so good at posting regularly! Whatever, I will not beat myself up. First thing to report today is that I did wind up doing my arm exercises yesterday, with better form. Secondly, I am sore as helllll today, legs and arms. I think that means it's working? Princess said I look like I'm getting skinnier but he is sweet like that on occasion, even if it is a blatant lie. And that is why I love him.

After my arms and my 2 hours of make up, I picked up Meagan in Rozzie and headed to The Alchemist. I was terrified of Triple Ds [even with a rad karaoke night], but had heard good things about the place since the transition/yuppification. I started the night with a drink [shocker], asked if the sangria was good, got a yes, and ordered it. I need like an electric collar for when I try to order sangria in public. It's amazing once in a while and the rest of the times it ranges from ehhh to gross. I have a killer homemade sangria recipe from Pedro at work and I really should just stick to that. This tasted like an apple Jack Daniels wine cooler of a bad flavor of Boones' Farm. Impossible, I know. I LOVE BF, but some of their flavors are rank. Come to think of it, their sangria actually tasted better than this sangria and i seem to recall BF sangria having a slight vomit odor. So yeah, I think it may have been a white sangria - which really needs to be handled properly - but whatever it was, gnarly to the point that I had like 5 sips and put it to the side.

Making up for this was the caprese salad [dope tomatoes, right amount and flavor of balsamic, leafy greens on the side, enough cheese!] and little flatbread and oil they bring you. Both were excellent. For someone with not an Italian bone in her body, I sure have the palate of those folks. The I got the steak tips and fries for dinner, delicious...Highland Kitchen does them better, but HK is amazing. I also ordered a glass of Malbec with my steak, which was sooooo much better than the sangria. And a HUGE pour. I actually wound up pouring my remaining sangria into my wine when it was 2/3 gone and it was a world of improvement.

That was that, we headed to the Jeannie. The JJ has gone immensely down hill [god, this post is making me feel old - bitch bitch bitch, the kids these days, up hill both ways, etc.] since it was my stomping grounds in the early 2000s. We used to go there every Saturday for karaoke. We tried again last night, but they switched DJs and few years ago and I do not know what it is about a karaoke dj but they can be kind of a-holes. I may be projecting since it's my life goal to BE a karaoke dj and now I just work as a sales slave for networking gear, so I'm hating. But he has yet to dazzle me. And the crowd....first of all, half the people were like 19, I swear. There was one crazy woman in a pink jumpsuit at the bar. I loathe places with only one stall in the bathroom [TTs!]. And the place turned into like Allston after 11:30. Crowded, hot, too many people, I couldn't tell who was hiding a shiv in their ankle, skankariffic clothes everywhere, and wayyyy too much hoochie dancing. It's karaoke, some is allowed, but leave room for the holy ghost! Plus some of the JP hipsters were irritating too, but at least they were there to sing and be obnoxious with their friends, not act like they were at Rain nightclub in Saugus.

Plus, and I bleed Boston, never leaving but, I think I've determined why I crossed the River. We do have better food and more affordable apts and more stuff to do within my interests and tax brackets. But beyond that, half the people I saw last night either went to my high school or were younger siblings/friends of people I grew up with. I have my too-cool death glare down pat [thanks Orange Lone], and don't remember any of these people on a name/friendly basis, but it's enough to put you on guard that you may run into someone you haven't seen in a long-ass time. Which may be fun...for 2 minutes and then be awful. Not my scene, I'm a thousand I guess, it did make me sad to see the old stomping grounds go sooooo downhill.

Back to reality, I had a diet coke and 2 Coronas and a water for the rest of the night. Had a good time with Meagan and Emily and her dad. Darling called me like 4 times at 1:20 [I NEVER call when he is out, I hate a nag] and wasn't really making sense but I figured whatever. Got home and there's like piles of stuff that was previously on the couch now on the floor and half our magnets all over the kitchen floor. And the bar to the freezer door almost impaled me when I opened it [after following the trail of destruction, I figured I had to check and make sure he wasn't trying to charge his phone in there or something]. He was already in bed so I went in and gave my most annoyed "What the fuck happened to the house, dude?" Nothing. Try again, still nothing. Grab his foot and shake. Eyes open, "What were you drinking?".
"Feeelsi ilkssie mngdhhdvppppp...."
"What?"
"Eeeksi bliffghippppy....."
"You're such a loser"

Love sweet love.

No comments: