Monday, September 15, 2008

Mind the Gap, part Deux

I figured I'd separate this into two since it's a long coverage period. And I kind of liked the poetic end to the last post. Maybe it's actually me that is "such a loser"? Who cares.

Today began around 10. Woke up, was going to make food, but Ed decided to make WPF french toast [awesome] and a couple of PERFECT fried eggs, he is a really good cook, I'm lucky. We headed off to the inspection [after Princess picked up his magnet mess] and went to DD for my tea. Ed got a latte and a Boston Cream, I was shocked; he confessed he was afraid he's pass out from exhaustion/hungoverness. Ed hasn't had caffeine in like 2 years? Maybe only a year, but still. This was a rarity. Latte in hand, he also was wearing what I call an REI vest and hip sneakers and we rolled up in our 2009 Corolla to our cute single family home inspection. This prompted me to turn to Darling and cry "We're total yuppies, I'm going to barf". Whatever, if yuppies have money and spend it on themselves, then SIGN ME UP. Not about to get in a big debate over the shade of Ecru and raise of text that are involved in my business cards, but I enjoy capitalism and I enjoy making myself feel better with the proceeds of said-capitalism.

Had a looooong home inspection, I wanted to kidnap the guy and bring him home - he was adorable and genuine and knew his shit and so great and helpful overall. Those people get all up in everything, it is a very thorough job. I appreciated it. There are definitely some issues....I'm curious to see what happens now, but we'll see. I feel slightly better just in the general home-buying process now having been through one and seeing all the facets of a house. I know more must occur to you after you start living in something you own but right now I feel like my brain is filled to the brim with things that need to be taken care of that never occurred to me. Never. It's nice to know what we're signing up for. It'd be nicer if this house had old-time charm and new-age upkeep and technology, but alas - we shall see. If I ever write a home-buying memoir [how boring would that be? And of all the things to wrote a memoir of] of this experience, it will be called We Shall See.

Quelled [is that a malapropism?] some of my anxiety with a slice of Nick's pizza [one of 5 shops a stones throw from possible future house] and a diet Dr Pepper. Showered up, ate a pear, and headed to the parentals. Had some red wine, Omaha Steaks pork chop and steak, daddy's mustard sauce, Yukon gold potatoes and asparagus [tops only, I'm 5], with my watery cran juice per usual. Had like 3 tbsp of diet Mint Chip ice cream for dessert. My parents are wild with the sweets lately...not. Sister got an apt with her boyfriend!! I am very happy for her and them. I like him, he has a snarky view of the world, which I adore. She has a birthday coming up, I will need to think on that one. Linus' head wound is improving, he is such a pain in the ass. My parents probably hate me for dumping him on them, I'm so irresponsible.

Got home just in time for Mad Men [actually for the last 4 minutes of Philadelphia - pass the rusty razor blades, seriously] and to put away laundry for what felt like hours [yelled at Darling for his lack of effort in that dept, no effect of course]. I was craving tomatoes, mozzarella, and oil and vinegar but Ed made popcorn WHILE I was making this up for myself [fresh toms from 5 Keane Rd, yum] and so I gave in and had several handfuls. And then my planned snack. Night time eating will be the death of me. Planning to run tomorrow, need to keep up the stamina or momentum or whatever.

I think that's it for now...Oooh, the house is <.5 miles from a Whole Foods. Ed is already imagining the BBQs. "We can walk there!" he exclaimed, upon discovery. It would be pretty rad; we shall see.

No comments: