Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Trivia Tuesday

While I loathe Mondays, I luuurve Tuesdays. Not because I get assaulted at work with all the emails a. from people who were out/shunning me Friday and/or Monday and b. from people who weren't out but should've sent them prior to 4 pm today so I could actually help them, and didn't. Thank god my mom doesn't read this blog because that last sentence was a grammar nightmare. I'm also noticing it's difficulty to type. You know why? Because it's TRIVIA TUESDAY which means I'm 2.5 sheets to the wind.

I go to trivia at Olde Magoun's on the Somerville/Meffa border each Tuesday with a revolving cast of characters. I was originally recruited by my colleague/friend Andy who went with his friend Matt. They were really good except for the fashion/beauty/pop culture/celebrity divorce questions -AKA the Pink Pie in Trivial Pursuit. This is where I came in. What I lack in useful knowledge about science or geography, I make up for in knowing Halle Berry's first husband's name [former Atlanta Brave David Justice, and he hit her - allegedly].

We worked as a team of 3 for a while and I invited my sister and she is wayyy more popular than I am so she actually came WITH PEOPLE. Andy has since had a baby and Matt's job is nuts and he's getting married [grown-ups], so they don't attend so often anymore but generally each week it's myself, maybe Caroline, her friend Martin almost always, and her other friends Paul, Mike and Jay come in as they can. They do Improv Practice on Tuesday which is awesome but I'm sad it conflicts with our big night. Sometimes C's delightful boyfriend Brian even joins us, all the way from the NH. That is a trooper move, if anyone asked me to go to something in NH on a Tuesday night and drive back and go to work the next morning I'd show them to the nearest bridge and then push them off.

Anyhow, I love trivia. The host is great, the bar is great, the questions are never too easy. I even wrote a glorifying Yelp review about it -which the host now totally knows about, scoring us brownie points. Some a-hole out of towner called him a Douche on Yelp, and he is so not a douche, I had to defend him. Fun times all around, I genuinely look forward to it and enjoy myself even if we place a miserable 15th or whatever we did tonight. We lost it in the 4th round...anyone ever heard of Mr Bill? Apparently some old SNL skit with a key nemesis. Sue us for not knowing the nemesis' name. I'm already excited for next week though, this is the beauty of it.

Part of the highlight of Trivia night is that I get to be excessive food and beverage-wise. The scale indicated I lost like 4 lbs this morning and I guarantee I just put it all back on in the past 3 hours. I have 98% of an entire margarita pizza [they make it Napoleon style on a BED OF LIGHTLY SPRINKLED SEA SALT, can you really blame me?] and 3 beers on average. This was tonight's menu, a whole pizza, a Raspberry UFO and 2 Sea Dog Blueberries. For those of you with little to no deduction skills, I don't like beer unless it's fruity. I also had a bite of Martin's Fireside Dip which is an item I would order again in a heart beat. As Rachel Ray would say, YUM-O.

So yeah, beyond that: Sox ate it at the last minute, booo. Had cereal per usual, a banana, some tea. A grilled cheese and tomato and veggie soup with a Snapple Diet IT for lunch [Westford again...groan]. I had a pounding headache by the time I got to the bar, but I washed down two Advils with my first beer [note to kids: don't do this]. No exercise, just the walk to the bar [such a sad sentence]. I meant to get up early and slept through my alarm, again [thanks Ed]. Had another lovely night of up at 3 with neurosis and back to bed at 4. Awesome. The I was at work from 8:45 until 7:20. Not recommended either. Hopefully it pays off.

Speaking of paying off, the house is whatever; I'm so over this process. I feel like we're behaving so reasonably and being accommodating. To be honest, I'm acting with a tenth of the insanity, vigor and obstinacy with which I'd want to act if left to my own devices [thanks to the advice of Darling and other parties]. These people are difficult. Let's hope it's worth it, otherwise, I'm hitting the road STAT. It makes me sad to think of but sometimes enough is a enough. Offer was accepted but I'd say due to other circumstances, it's a 30/70 shot, 70 being we don't wind up living there. Not to be Pissy Sally but that's how I feel right now with all of that.

Ok, I'm tired and it just took me a good 6 minutes to fix all those typos. Good night!

No comments: